Indianapolis, Indiana served as host city for the College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacist’s 21st Annual Meeting held April 22-25. A record-breaking 774 healthcare professionals registered to attend this four-day conference which featured nearly 30 hours of cutting-edge scientific presentations, three symposia, two product theaters and a display of 206 scientific posters. Cindy Gutierrez, PharmD, MS, BCPP, Associate Chief, Clinical Pharmacy Programs, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, TX, served as Program Chair of the CPNP Annual Meeting. Sarah Melton, PharmD, BCPP, BCACP, FASCP, Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Gatton College of Pharmacy, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN, served as chair of Recertification continuing education.
Kicking off the meeting was a three-hour hands on pre-meeting workshop on Pharmacists on the Front-line of Medication Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder delivered by a panel of substance use disorder specialists. Monday’s keynote address was delivered by Dr. Christopher Jones on America’s Opioid Crisis and the Role of Pharmacists. Three keynote addresses, Mixed Opinions: Recognition and Management of Depressions with Mixed Features presented by Michael Thase, MD, Gluten Sensitivity in Schizophrenia presented by Deanna Kelly, PharmD, BCPP, and Cognitive Deficits in Schizophrenia presented by Richard S.E. Keefe, PhD, rounded out the meeting along with additional concurrent programming provided throughout the meeting on topics such as innovative therapies for schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, substance use disorders, and much more. This year’s Annual Meeting also offered specific programming for over 110 residents and 140 students.
In addition to providing high quality education, the following CPNP business and recognition was conducted at the CPNP Annual Meeting.
OFFICER AND COMMITTEE CHAIR INSTALLATION
Officer transitions were announced with CPNP President Deanna Kelly, PharmD, BCPP, Director and Chief of the Treatment Research Program at the Maryland Psychiatric Research Center (MPRC), Baltimore, MD, passing the gavel to President-Elect Megan Ehret, PharmD, MS, BCPP, Associate Professor, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD. Also recognized as incoming President-Elect was Lisa Goldstone, MS, LPC, PharmD, BCPS, BCPP, Associate Professor of Clinical Pharmacy/Associate Director of Residency Programs, University of Southern California School of Pharmacy, Los Angeles, CA. All will assume their duties beginning in July of 2018.
In addition to the three officers above, the following individuals will serve on the CPNP Board during 2018-2019:
- Benjamin Chavez, PharmD, BCPP, BCACP, Associate Professor, University of Colorado Skaggs School of Pharmacy, Aurora, CO
- Ericka Crouse, PharmD, BCGP, BCPP, FASCP, FASHP, Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacotherapy and Outcomes Science, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Pharmacy, Richmond, VA
- Karen Moeller, PharmD, BCPP, Clinical Associate Professor, University of Kansas School of Pharmacy, Kansas City, KS
- Amy Werremeyer, PharmD, BCPP, Associate Professor of Practice, Dept. of Pharmacy Practice; Clinical Specialist in Psychiatry, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND
Departing from the Board as of June 30, 2018 are:
- Christopher Thomas, PharmD, BCPP, Clinical Pharmacist in Psychiatry, Chillicothe Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Chillicothe, OH
- Leigh Anne Nelson, PharmD, BCPP, Associate Professor, University of Missouri-Kansas City, Kansas City, MO
- Marshall Cates, PharmD, BCPP, FASHP, FCCP, Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Samford University McWhorter School of Pharmacy, Birmingham, AL
Also installed at the Annual Meeting were 2018-2019 Committee Chairs for CPNP as follows:
- Abstracts and Awards Council: Gregory Bogart, PharmD, BCPP, Clinical Pharmacist-Behavioral Health, Jefferson Health New Jersey, Cherry Hill, NJ
- Business Development Council: Steve Stoner, PharmD, BCPP, Clinical Professor and Chair, University of Missouri at Kansas City, Kansas City, MO
- Consumer Relations Committee: Jodie Malhotra, International Affairs Coordinator, University of Colorado Skaggs School of Pharmacy, Aurora, CO
- From Theory to Practice Case Series Editorial Board: Michael McGuire, Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Belmont University, Nashville, TN
- Government Affairs Council: Carla Cobb, PharmD, BCPP, Psychiatric Pharmacist, Capita Consulting, Billings, MT
- Mental Health Clinician Editorial Board: Amy VandenBerg, PharmD, BCPP, Clinical Specialist, Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor, MI and Clint Ross, PharmD, BCPP, Psychiatric Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC
- Past President’s Council: Deanna Kelly, PharmD, BCPP, Professor, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD
- Program Committee: Jennifer Bean, Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, VA-Tennessee Valley Healthcare System, Murfreesboro, TN
- Psychopharmacology Pearls Editorial Board: Beth Hall, PharmD, BCPP, Regional Pharmacy Practice Manager, SSM Health, Fulton, MO
- Recertification Editorial Board: Sarah Melton, PharmD, BCPP, BCACP, FASCP, Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Gatton College of Pharmacy, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN
- Resident and New Practitioner Committee: Tawny Smith, PharmD, BCPP, Associate Professor of Psychiatry, The University of Texas/Seton Healthcare Family, Austin, TX
- Review Course Editorial Board: Megan Ehret, PharmD, MS, BCPP, Associate Professor, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, Carol Ott, PharmD, BCPP, Clinical Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Purdue University/Eskenazi Health, Indianapolis, IN, and Chris Paxos, Pharmacotherapy Specialist, Cleveland Clinic Akron General, Akron, OH
- Student Committee: Azita Alipour, PharmD, BCPP, BCGP, Assistant Professor, Marshall B. Ketchum University College of Pharmacy, Fullerton, CA