"This unique and valuable training DVD demonstrates the proper administration technique and accurate severity rating assessments for various medication-induced movement disorders." (more
) - John Kane, MD
"The training tool is highly professional. The interactions between the rater and the individual should serve as models for how we all should communicate with our patients when performing these assessments." (more
) - Joseph Friedman, MD
"I strongly recommend it to researchers [and their research assistants] and clinicians alike." (more
) - Henry A. Nasrallah, MD
Benefits to Psychiatric Movement Disorder Assessment Training
Healthcare professionals can gain the following knowledge, skills and benefits by completing this movement disorder assessment training:
- Properly identify and assess drug-induced movement disorders such as tardive dyskinesia, pseudoparkinsonism, and akathisia.
- Recognize medication-related movement disorders early, allowing for more effective treatment.
- Improve outcomes and patient adherence to medication regimens with early treatment and intervention.
- Improve recognition and accuracy of movement disorder evaluation by perfecting scale administration technique.
What this DVD Includes
This Drug-Induced Movement Disorders DVD is a unique and valuable training tool. The DVD features examinations of patients who display varying severities of movement disorders with the goal to demonstrate proper scale administration technique and consistent rating of movement severity. Featured rating scales include the more commonly utilized movement disorder rating scales—the AIMS, DISCUS, MSAS and BARS. The DVD includes the following segments:
- Abnormal Involuntary Movement Scale (AIMS) patient examination and test case with comparison to expert rater
- Dyskinesia Identification System: Condensed User Scale (DISCUS) patient examination and test case with comparison to expert rater
- Modified Simpson-Angus Scale (MSAS) patient examination and a description of differences between the SAS and the modified-SAS
- Barnes Akathisia Rating Scale (BARS) patient examination
A table of contents for the DVD with time dedicated to each segment provides additional detail on the content of the DVD and format.
How to Use this DVD
This DVD can be viewed on your computer or television. It is an interactive series allowing you to utilize the menu to:
- View an introduction to the video by John Kane, M.D.
- View the instructional examination for the AIMS, DISCUS, MSAS and BARS.
- Evaluate and score a test case with expert feedback for the AIMS and DISCUS.
- Listen to commentary and clinical pearls from experienced, expert raters as they administer and score drug-induced movement disorders.
- View the featured rating scales (available for printing below).
Who Will Benefit From This Training
- Training Programs: Nursing, Pharmacy, Psychiatry, Physician Assistant, Family Practice
- Psychiatric Hospitals
- VA Healthcare System
- Community Mental Health Centers
- Departments of Mental Health
- Long-Term Care Facilities
- Consultant Pharmacies
- Research Facilities/Programs
- Individual practitioners: Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Pharmacists, Physician Assistants, and Physicians
John Kane, MD
Chairman, Department of Psychiatry
The Zucker Hillside Hospital
Glen Oaks, NY
Abnormal Involuntary Movement Scale (AIMS)
Steven C. Stoner, PharmD, BCPP
Clinical Professor and Chair, Division of Pharmacy Practice and Administration
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Pharmacy
Kansas City, MO
Dyskinesia Identification System: Condensed User Scale (DISCUS)
John Kalachnik, MEd
Director of Integrated Services Woodward Resource Center
Simpson-Angus Scale (SAS)
Modified Simpson-Angus Scale (MSAS)
Barnes Akathisia Rating Scale (BARS)
Roger W. Sommi, PharmD, FCCP, BCPP
Professor of Pharmacy and Psychiatry
University of Missouri-Kansas City Schools of Pharmacy and Medicine Kansas City, MO
The training DVD is available for purchase online using the shopping cart below or via the printable/faxable product purchase form for a price of $250 for members and $350 for non-members. If you are interested in a multi-site license or in streaming the video online, please contact the CPNP office.
For easier processing with your purchasing department, you can provide them with the ISBN/EAN: 978-0-98-518180-2
If you are a member, please login to see options specific to you.
|Drug-Induced Movement Disorders: A Clinical Guide to Rating Scales||Members||Non-members|
|Training DVD for use at one site||$250||$350|