Where to start?
Be honest and open when discussing concerns with your doctor. Choosing the right medication and dose should be based on each individual’s needs. Your doctor will choose a medication based on:
- Symptoms you currently have
- Sex or gender identity
- Allergies or problems you had with medications
- Other health conditions you have
- Other medications you take
- Medications you have tried and how these worked for you
- If anyone in your family is or has been on any medication that has helped symptoms you have
- How regularly you take your medication(s)
- Cost of medications and insurance
- If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
- Achtyes E, Simmons A, Skabeev A, Levy N, Jiang Y, et al. Patient preferences concerning the efficacy and side-effect profile of schizophrenia medications: a survey of patients living with schizophrenia. BMC Psychiatry. 2018 Sep 12;18(1):292. PubMed PMID: 30223804; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6142379.
- Chen JJ. Treatment of psychotic symptoms in patients with Parkinson disease. Ment Health Clin. 2017 Nov;7(6):262-270. PubMed PMID: 29955532; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6007727.
- Lieberman JA, Stroup TS, McEvoy JP, Swartz MS, Rosenheck RA, et al. Effectiveness of antipsychotic drugs in patients with chronic schizophrenia. N Engl J Med. 2005 Sep 22;353(12):1209-23. PubMed PMID: 16172203.
- Spina E, de Leon J. Clinically relevant interactions between newer antidepressants and second-generation antipsychotics. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2014 May;10(5):721-46. PubMed PMID: 24494611.
- Bandelow B, Michaelis S, Wedekind D. Treatment of anxiety disorders. Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2017 Jun;19(2):93-107. PubMed PMID: 28867934; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5573566.
- Cipriani A, Furukawa TA, Salanti G, Chaimani A, Atkinson LZ, et al. Comparative efficacy and acceptability of 21 antidepressant drugs for the acute treatment of adults with major depressive disorder: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Lancet. 2018 Apr 7;391(10128):1357-1366. PubMed PMID: 29477251; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5889788.
- De Fazio P, Gaetano R, Caroleo M, Pavia M, De Sarro G, et al. Lithium in late-life mania: a systematic review. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2017;13:755-766. PubMed PMID: 28331326; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5352229.